Mortgages For Flats Above Shops

Most lenders consider a flat above a shop a semi-commercial – so understanding what that means and how it works is crucial to ensure you apply for the right mortgage through the best lenders!

Property or loan details

Error: Property must be valued at £50,000 or more.

Error: Estimated rental income must be between £1 and £99,999.

Based on your details, you can borrow up to:


This calculator is an estimation of how much you could borrow. If you’re ready to take out a mortgage, speak to a Revolution brokers to see what options are available.

Mortgages For Flats Above Shops

Many apartments or flats are based above retail or commercial premises, and it can be more challenging to obtain a competitive mortgage for this type of property.

Specialist lenders are working with business loan broker who are happy to offer mortgage terms on the residential proportion of a dual-purpose property. If you are looking to purchase a flat above commercial premises, give us a call, and we will help you identify the right lenders and the best deals available on the market.

Can I get a mortgage for a flat above a retail shop?

While this type of mortgage is less widely available through mainstream lenders, it is possible to secure a mortgage either for a residential purchase or as a buy-to-let investor.

The reason this is more complex is that many lenders consider a dual-purpose property a higher risk.

Why are some mortgage lenders unable to lend against a dual-use property?

Mainstream mortgage providers consider this type of mixed-use property riskier for many reasons.

Part of this is that commercial properties can potentially disrupt the residential property above. This could be due to working unusual hours, generating noise or producing smells - for example, a food shop or takeaway.

The values of flats above commercial premises tend to be less stable in terms of market value. Mortgage lenders often consider applications from the perspective of their investment. They may require a higher deposit or not be willing to consider mortgaging this type of property.

What other factors impact mortgages for semi-residential properties?

Your mortgage lender may need to know the type of business, and how the property is laid out before they can consider making an offer. These factors affect the value of the property, and the security of the premises - for example, if the main entrance is shared.

The most challenging type of property to secure a mortgage against is a business within categories A3 to A5, which includes food retailers, licensed premises, restaurants and cafes.

The reason it is more challenging to mortgage this type of flat is because those categories of business are more likely to carry risks of noise nuisance, making it harder to sell the property eventually.

How can I get a mortgage for a flat above a restaurant?

While it may be more challenging to secure competitive lending from a mainstream mortgage provider, Revolution Brokers are here to help!

We work with a network of reputable lenders who specialise in lending against properties above businesses such as bars, takeaways and restaurants. These types of flats are often a lucrative investment, with a lower value and ideally placed close to places of work and business.

What deposit do I need for a residential property above a business?

Most lenders will ask for a larger deposit, and for mortgage providers who do not specialise in this property sector, this could be of a prohibitive value.

The average Loan to Value (LTV) rate is capped at 85%. LTV means the amount of mortgage lending you can borrow against the value of the property. Standard residential properties may have mortgage options available at 90% or even 100% of the property value, allowing buyers to purchase with a deposit from 0-10%.

Your typical LTV is likely to be:

  • Capped at 85% for a flat above a shop - 15% deposit required
  • Capped at 75% for a flat above a restaurant - 25% deposit required
  • Capped at 60% for a flat above a takeaway - 40% deposit required
Why Revolution Brokers?
  • Whole of market brokers

  • Mortgage that suits you

  • On time customer support


How does our broker-matching service work?

When working with any lender, you will need to demonstrate the affordability of the loan and fall within the lenders' criteria for acceptable risk.

Different lenders set different rates, but on average, you can obtain a mortgage for around four times your annual income. Other lenders will mortgage up to five or six times your annual income, depending on the circumstances.

The policies in place will determine what types of income are considered, and can include:

  • Employment salaries
  • Self-employed revenue
  • Benefits income
  • Fixed-term contract revenue
  • How long you have been in your job

Some lenders will not consider offering a mortgage to an applicant with bad credit, and others specialise in this area and helping applicants to invest in a property, even if they have been bankrupt before.

If you have struggled with credit issues, give Revolution Brokers a call on 0330 304 3040, and we will help you identify the most suitable mortgage options for your circumstances and lending requirements.

Many lenders will not extend a mortgage offer to a retired applicant, although specialist lenders will offer to lend based on pension income and other revenue streams.

There are also products called Retirement Interest Only (RIO) mortgages, which can help you purchase a property later in life.

If you are retired, or nearing retirement, and would like to take out a mortgage, give our friendly team a call and we will have a chat to explain the options you can choose from.

Yes, buy-to-let mortgages are available; this type of property tends to be in town or city centres and are popular rental properties being conveniently located for workers and students alike.

Buy-to-let mortgages are available through mainstream lenders as well as specialist mortgage providers and tend to command higher deposits than residential properties.

Your mortgage lender will need to understand the anticipated rental income per annum to be able to verify that you can afford the mortgage repayments. If you are looking for a buy-to-let mortgage with the most advantageous terms and rates, drop us a line at, and we will help you find the best deal!

While less common, yes you can certainly secure a mortgage for a flat above a supermarket. This is very similar to mortgaging a flat above other retail premises, so a specialist mortgage lender is far more likely to be able to help.

You certainly can! These options are called mortgages for mixed-use, or semi-commercial loans, and mean that you have a semi-commercial mortgage for both the business downstairs and your living premises upstairs.

This is a specialist mortgage, so give us a call to understand the pros and cons.

Residential properties over businesses are less common than residential mortgages, yet several niche mortgage lenders specialise in this type of property.

You can mortgage a flat above a shop to live in, as an investment, as a buy-to-let, or as existing premises above your own business.

Each lender has their criteria so it is essential to understand what those are, and how they will apply to your circumstances before spending time on applications with lenders who will not be able to offer you lending.

Revolution Brokers are expert mortgage advisors with access across the spectrum of mainstream and niche lenders. We work with clients large and small, commercial and private to identify the most competitive mortgage offers for your specific requirements.

A commercial premise is a property that carries out business and is accessible by the public. This covers all types of business, from pubs and cafes to shops and banks.

Mortgage lenders consider the categories of business to determine which they will and will not lend against. The most common classes used are:

  • A1 - general shops such as newsagents
  • A2 - professional services such as estate agents
  • A3 - food and drink establishments such as restaurants
  • A4 - drinking establishments including pubs and bars
  • A5 - food takeaways and retailers

You will need to know which category the business underneath the flat you wish to mortgage falls. This will help your lender decide whether it is something they can lend against.

If you are unsure as to which category applies, whether you can get a mortgage for your flat, or which option is best for you, give us a ring on 0330 304 3040.

Revolution Brokers have years of experience in securing niche mortgages for our clients, so if you wish to purchase a property that isn't covered by the mainstream lenders, we are here to help.

Latest Blogs

26 Jan 2022
How Does a Remortgage Application Work?

Most homeowners know that remortgaging means switching a mortgage from an existing lender over to a new deal. However, the process isn't always obvious. If you're on a fixed-rate deal, you'll want to get ahead of the end of the term to avoid being shuffled onto a higher standard variable rate where your interest costs will undoubtedly ..

17 Dec 2021
Understanding Lender Risk on First-Time Buyer Mortgages

Finding a great mortgage as a first time buyer can feel like an uphill struggle, with a larger proportion of applicants being turned down than a year ago. Around 20% of first-time mortgage applicants are rejected, usually because of the lender risk associated with their loan. Today, Revolution Brokers explains the highest risk facto..

28 Oct 2021
Pros and Cons of First Time Buyer Buy to Let Mortgages

Investing in a rental property can be an excellent way to get onto the property ladder and earn an income. However, if you haven't owned a residence before, you might find that a mainstream bank will automatically turn you down for a buy to let mortgage. In today's guide, the Revolution Brokers team explains how you can become a ren..

12 Oct 2021
Mortgage Deposit Requirements for First-Time Buyers

Buying a home for the first time is a massive step - but the deposit is often a stumbling block for first-time buyers. It can take years to save a sufficient amount or be impossible, so there are several ways to approach the problem and get your foot onto the property ladder. From April 2021, the UK government launched the new mortg..

24 Jun 2021
Why Property Auction Finance is Booming!

There is little doubt that UK buyer confidence is at an all-time high. We've recapped previously in our blogs how property market growth and prices have soared over the last few months! As we head into summer, one key area of mortgage finance seems to be expanding rapidly: property auction finance. In this article, the Revolution..

25 May 2021
Property Development vs Buy to Let Investments

Here at Revolution Brokers, we work with thousands of property investors every year. That might be to: Remortgage a portfolio of rental properties. Secure development finance for a new project. Finance a standalone property purchase or multiple acquisitions. Streamline portfolio mortgages for multiple investments. We ofte..


Refer, Relax and get £50

If you refer a friend for a mortgage or any
type of finance you’ll both receive £25
each when their new application
successfully completes.

Know More!

We are proud
members of the:

FCA disclaimer

The content included in our articles, blogs, web pages and news publications is based on information accurate at the time of writing. Note that policies and criteria can change regularly throughout the UK mortgage lending market, and it remains essential to contact the consultation team to receive up to date guidance. The information included on the Revolution Brokers site is not bespoke to any circumstances or individual application scenarios and therefore is not intended to be used as financial advice. The content we share is designed to be informative and helpful but cannot be relied upon to provide individual advice relevant to your mortgage requirements. All Revolution team members are fully qualified, trained and experienced to provide mortgage advice of an independent nature. We collaborate with lenders and providers who are regulated, authorised and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Should you require specific mortgage borrowing types, some products such as buy to let mortgages may not be FCA regulated. The Revolution team can provide further information about regulated and unregulated lending as required. Please remember that a mortgage is a debt which is secured against your home or property. Your home can be at risk of repossession if you do not keep up with the repayments or encounter any other difficulties in managing your mortgage borrowing responsibly. This also applies to any remortgage or home loan secured against your property, including equity release products.

Ask the Mortgage Experts

Revolution Brokers understands that mortgages can be complex and confusing!

Ask us any question you might have, and one of our skilled consultants will come back to you as quickly as possible.