Discover What Our Customers
Property or loan details
Based on your details, you can borrow up to:£0
This calculator is an estimation of how much you could borrow. If you’re ready to take out a mortgage, speak to a Revolution brokers to see what options are available.
Mortgage Calculator - Guide for Expats
Many clients come to Revolution Brokers having used an online calculator, and received misleading results.
While expat mortgage calculators can be useful, they are only ever indicative. It is never wise to make an application based on an estimate, as this can result in being rejected for lending, and negatively impacting your credit score.
Let's explain where mortgage calculators for expats can be useful, and how to use them to your advantage.
How Do Mortgage Calculators for Expats Work?
Mortgage calculators need a few critical pieces of information, such as:
- Your income
- How much deposit you have
- How long you want the mortgage to run for
- A rough idea of the mortgage rates payable
Most information is available online, but it's worth remembering that the rate you are likely to be offered might vary significantly, as it all depends on your circumstances.
Whole of market brokers
Mortgage that suits you
On time customer support
What Do I Need to Know to Use an Expat Mortgage Calculator?
Mortgage providers all have a set of criteria they need applications to comply with before they can be approved. Mortgage calculators cannot consider every aspect of your application, but they usually look at:
- How old you are.
- Your employment status and income.
- Your credit rating or history.
- What type of property you want to buy.
These criteria are not unique to expat mortgages, but other factors will have a more significant impact on your chances of approval, and what rates you are offered:
- Your Status as a Homeowner - If you already have a UK property, you are in a better position. Lenders will often accept a second charge against an existing home as a way to reduce the deposit required on an expat mortgage to around 25%.
Should you not be a homeowner, you're likely to need a deposit around 35%.
- How Currencies are Likely to Change - Lenders will need to know where you live, since if the currency is volatile, it might dramatically change your ability to keep up with your mortgage payments.
- Should I Get a BTL or a Residential Expat Mortgage? - If you need a residential expat mortgage for a home to live in, you will be offered different rates and terms than if you want a buy to let expat mortgage to invest in a buy to let property.
- Is it Better to Take Out a Purchase Mortgage, or a Remortgage? - Again, this will change how much you can borrow, what products are suitable, and what interest rates a lender might offer. Generally, a remortgage is more straightforward and easier to qualify for then a purchase mortgage as an expat.
What are the Benefits of Using an Expat Mortgage Broker?
A broker is the next step once you have used an expat mortgage calculator to get a rough idea about what you can borrow, and how much the repayments might be.
There are multiple reasons a broker offers a more tailored service than a generic mortgage calculator:
- Recommendations consider all lenders on the market, rather than offering a small number of brokers tied in with the calculator service.
- Revolution considers your circumstances and will recommend the lending product we think is best suited, and most cost-effective - even if that isn't a mortgage.
- The team are highly experienced in expat mortgages and can provide invaluable advice and help with negotiating rates.
Expert Advice for Expat Mortgages
Are you keen to invest in a new property, purchase a UK home, or expand your investment portfolio as an expat living overseas?
Explore Our Presence
Explore Our Presence
Securing an excellent mortgage offer with Revolution Finance
Brokers couldn't be easier:
As specialist mortgage brokers for a huge variety of applicants, the whole-of-market consultants at Revolution provide access to an exceptional range of lenders, products and mortgage deals. That means you get the advantage of professional negotiation and broker-exclusives through an established lending network to ensure we always find you the most competitive mortgage available.
The content included in our articles, blogs, web pages and news publications is based on information accurate at the time of writing. Note that policies and criteria can change regularly throughout the UK mortgage lending market, and it remains essential to contact the consultation team to receive up to date guidance. The information included on the Revolution Brokers site is not bespoke to any circumstances or individual application scenarios and therefore is not intended to be used as financial advice. The content we share is designed to be informative and helpful but cannot be relied upon to provide individual advice relevant to your mortgage requirements. All Revolution team members are fully qualified, trained and experienced to provide mortgage advice of an independent nature.
We collaborate with lenders and providers who are regulated, authorised and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Should you require specific mortgage borrowing types, some products such as buy to let mortgages may not be FCA regulated. The Revolution team can provide further information about regulated and unregulated lending as required. Please remember that a mortgage is a debt which is secured against your home or property. Your home can be at risk of repossession if you do not keep up with the repayments or encounter any other difficulties in managing your mortgage borrowing responsibly. This also applies to any remortgage or home loan secured against your property, including equity release products.