Applying for a Remortgage Direct
You can apply directly to your existing bank or another lender who you'd like to switch your mortgage to. The difficulty is that you can miss out on better deals and lower rates, without knowing what alternatives are available.
One option is to contact your current bank, and some other lenders, and compare what sort of products they offer. Remember, though, that this doesn’t guarantee they will be able to extend lending, as each application will be subject to screening for affordability.
Benefits of applying directly are that:
- You won't need to pay any brokers fees - although note that often these costs are paid by the lender, not by the applicant.
- You don't need to be concerned about working with a broker who isn't acting in your best interests. Some restricted brokers only recommend mortgage products from a particular lender or those products which earn them the most commission, which means the remortgage they recommend might not be in your best interests.
The key here is to work with an independent, whole-of-market broker. We aren't tied into any bank, lender, or brand, so we can offer any mortgage deals from any provider that we think is best for you.
A word of caution; many homeowners choose a mortgage comparison website to check out remortgage deals.
These provide only indicative rates, and the brand's features are usually only listed because they pay for the opportunity, rather than having been selected by an independent business as offering the best deals.
Most niche lenders do not list their products on price comparison websites, and so these sites may only show you a small fraction of the available remortgages, many of which will not be the most competitive.
Applying for a Remortgage with a Broker
The benefits of choosing an independent, experienced broker for your remortgage include:
- Whole-of-market access: as an independent firm, Revolution Brokers access and compare remortgages from a vast number of lenders. That means we can offer products that aren't available from mainstream lenders, are not featured on price comparison websites, and sometimes are not available for direct applicants.
- Expert recommendations: our team can advise on the best mortgages for you, and recommend the right products to suit your circumstances. That includes fixed-rate borrowing, repayment mortgages, interest-only remortgages and tracker loans.
- Fast Applications: we process thousands of remortgage applications every month, and have in-depth knowledge about the products, rates, terms and criteria of each lender. That means we can help with your remortgage search, application and documentation, making the whole process quicker and stress-free.
- Quicker Acceptances: the Revolution team liaise and negotiate directly with lenders, meaning that we make sure they process your application as quickly as possible. Typically, a remortgage application takes just four to six weeks, and sometimes less.
- Access to Specialist Mortgages: one of the most common issues we encounter is that mainstream lenders work to strict criteria, with very little flexibility. For example, if you are self-employed, or want to remortgage a property with a thatched roof, most high street lenders will not be able to help. A broker works with niche lenders and off-market providers who can accommodate any non-standard circumstances.
- Bad Credit Remortgages: as with other criteria, if you have a low credit score or an adverse credit history, it can be tough finding a remortgage provider who will accept your application and offer reasonable rates. Revolution works with several niche bad credit lenders who can negotiate terms to suit your requirements.
- Impartial Advice: a broker will help you calculate the deposit you need, your total monthly outgoings, your income and any other figures required for your application. As an FCA regulated firm, our advice is honest, impartial and transparent, so we make sure you have all the information before you make a decision.
- Speedy Communications: we always make sure you know what is happening, and when changes are made to mortgage policies. That means you can make faster decisions and are never left out in the cold if criteria change and you need to consider a different lender.
- Ongoing Customer Care: if in the future, you decide that you're unhappy with your remortgage, a broker is more likely to be able to help. As an FCA regulated firm, we always recommend the right products for you, but can quickly help you find an alternative should your circumstances change.
- Higher Acceptance: since we know the criteria and policies of each lender, we will only ever recommend applying to a provider who is likely to be able to accept your application. This means we have a high success rate, and you are far more likely to be offered a remortgage when applying through a broker.
- Structured Fees: many applicants feel unsure about using a broker because they imagine having to pay high costs for the service. However, the opposite is true - most clients save a significant amount of money since an expert broker has negotiated the terms of their mortgage on their behalf. The lender covers most brokerage fees, and in some cases, we can even encourage a lender to waive their fees altogether!
For more advice about working with a remortgage broker, give the team a call on 0330 304 3040.
Should I Use a Mortgage Broker for my Remortgage?
The decision is entirely yours; there is no requirement to use a broker. Still, you might save a considerable amount of time and money by doing so!
If you do choose to work with a broker, always ensure:
- They are independent and impartial.
- They are FCA regulated.
- They offer whole-of-market broker services.